Sunday 10 May 2015

Sushi Making

Hi everyone! I thought I'd share another recipe I've been loving recently. As you know I absolutely love sushi but this was my first attempt at making it myself, it's much easier than I expected so let me know if you give this a try :)






Ingredients:

250g of sushi rice
4 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Salmon
Cucumber
Crab sticks
Cooked prawns
Sushi nori sheets
Wasabi paste and Soy sauce to taste

Method:


Cooking the rice is the key step in making sushi, it must be sticky enough to hold everything together, but not be allowed to turn into a sticky dough. Firstly, the rice must be thoroughly washed and drained. Once this is done there are three steps to follow; soaking, boiling and resting. Different people use different times for each step; I use about 500ml water to 250g of rice, leave this to soak for 20 minutes, then bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes and finally allow to stand for 10 minutes. The remaining water should then be drained and the rice left to cool. In the meantime, gently heat the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves - and then mix into the rice.
Everything else is simplicity itself – although it sometimes gets quite messy.
Place you sushi nori (seaweed sheet) on a bamboo mat and cover in a thin layer of rice. I use the back of a spoon to spread the rice out – I’m told you should use your fingers, but the rice is so sticky this inevitably makes a real mess. As shown here leave a half inch gap at the end of the sushi nori that you can dampen with water and use for sealing once you have rolled your sushi. The rolling itself is surprisingly simple.
The joy of making your own sushi is that you can make them to match your taste. For California Rolls, you use mayonnaise, tiger prawns, crabsticks and avocado. But here I’ve used a mixture of Smoked Salmon, crabsticks, cucumber and prawns. If you want to add bite to your sushi then add a little to taste.
Other than the rice, which can be a little fiddly to get right, this a simple (as well as being healthy) recipe.
Let me know if you try out this recipe and what you think :)

Tam x

No comments:

Post a Comment